I just recorded the sounds of my various fiddles and played Shortenin' Bread on all of them (except Ebay fiddle #2, which is not quite in tune yet.) I will have to upload it here via my netbook (dial-up would take far too long) because you wouldn't believe the difference in tones. Even if you just count the regular fiddles and leave out the travel fiddle, they sound so different!

The blue fiddle sounds terrible, in my opinion. The squeakiness is not all me after all. The Anton Breton fiddle sounds pretty good. Ebay fiddle #1 sounds really nice, but is a totally different tone than the Anton Breton fiddle, which is lower in tone. My travel fiddle sounds like itself, and it's getting smoother.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have finally begun to make real progress with my fiddling. Just started working on Sugar Hill. I have only skipped Camptown Races---because I've always hated the song. No motivation to work on the tricky transitions between all those A's and F#'s. I really liked Cumberland Mountain Deer Chase. I play it slowly and am starting to put in a few shuffles. I wait till I can play something slowly and fairly accurately before trying to play it at the typical tempo.

So far, the transitions between the D and A strings are my most difficult problem, as well as just hitting ONE string. And the squeaking still happens, just not as much.

I'm attending a folk jam (just to watch!) at the local Barnes & Noble in a couple of weeks and the week after that, I'll be attending a family reunion (hubby's) in Wytheville, VA, where (I'm told) one of the relatives will probably bring his fiddle and play mountain music for us! And we'll be at a place on Cripple Creek. I can't wait! The lovely Appalachians and a fiddler to learn from...woo hoo!
Jennifer said…
I'm still a bit squeaky too. I kind of abandoned the book for a bit, but I'm going to go back to it once I get the CD out of my car to play along. Transitioning is only bad for me when I try to do it too quickly.

I like the idea of learning the song slow first and then speeding up. I will have to try that!

Hope the jam is fun! I wish we had something like that locally here. And the reunion sounds great too. Have a nice time! :)

Popular Posts