Oh my. I took my biggest colander out to harvest from my garden today, and had to go back to empty it and fill it up again. Yikes! I think it's time to break out the half bushel baskets.

So, tonight's haul--

--half a quart of blackberries (yay!)
--3 1/2lbs. beans (some of the bush beans are ready to pick. This also included one asparagus bean, which are the coolest things in the whole wide world. Seriously. It's about 15" long, and I would have left it to grow longer, but I accidentally snapped it off.)
--nine fifteen cucumbers, which is over 7lbs., some of which are rather large.
--five huge zucchini, which will be shredded to freeze for bread and other baking.

Other things I could pick: Beets, beet leaves, swiss chard, nasturtiums.

My sesame is growing quite well, my okra is starting to bloom (even though it's only about a foot high at the moment; okay, maybe 18 inches), and my tomatoes are absolutely loaded.

My squash are loaded, too. It looks like I may actually have Thelma Sanders Sweet Potato squash this year, which will be nice. The Potimarron squash is also doing well; I think I could actually pick two or three right now, because they are the right color, but I'm not sure if I should wait or what. I've also spotted acorn squash and spaghetti squash. One of the acorn squash is rather large.

And the squash/gourd in the kitchen garden is almost dead; I'll be picking its only fruit soon, I think. I'm not quite sure what happened. I think (amazingly) it got too dry.

Oh! I almost forgot. I also ate two of my (very small) blueberry harvest of the year. They were quite yummy. I hope the blueberries survive the winter so I can have more of them next year.

Comments

Popular Posts