Owie.

What I did today was not on my list of things to do. Not at all. In fact, I hadn't intended to even attempt this until much later. Of course.

On my list for today was to start cleaning the house. I had intended to work in the kitchen, the laundry room, and the entry room, putting things away, hanging things up that had been in a box for two weeks--stuff like that.

I got most of the kitchen done, at least. I do have some more to do, but I will do that tomorrow.

I had swept the kitchen floor, cleaned the laundry room, and done quite a bit when I started cleaning up in the entry room. I was attempting to sweep the cat hair out from under the radiator when my brush snagged on a loose piece of flooring. Honest. It did. Really!

Well, I pulled, and it came up, exposing (okay, just a tiny scrap, really) this:

See, I had assumed there was oak floors under the icky fake plastic floor that was on there. But I was wrong! In fact, there was linoleum (I think--and yes, I know about the asbestos. I'm not planning to take up the linoleum just yet. In fact, I kind of like it.) Actually, there were two floors, a really icky pink and brown floor with the fake wood floor glued on top. The pink and brown floor comes up very easily, except in a few tiny spots. And it is newer, and I don't think there's any asbestos in it. At least I didn't see any.

(And actually, while I was under the radiator, one of the linoleum tiles lifted off in one piece and there are wood floors underneath.)

So I decided that I might as well get my workout for the day, since the ground wasn't dry enough to till. (It was dry enough to mow the grass, but I'm going to do that tomorrow.)

I am now done with half the floor. And I think I'm going to be hurting tomorrow, so I'm not planning to do any more of the floor until next weekend.

Thank goodness I'm not expecting company or anything.

My linoleum adventure wasn't without problems, however. The lady who lives in the house next to my next door neighbor lived in my house when she was a little girl. This was probably right after the kitchen was added on, sometime in the early 50s. She had asked me once if the 'hole in the floor' was still there in the living room from where she and her sister got in trouble with a candle. She told me they burned a hole in the floor. She said it was a 'big hole'. And that it burned through the carpet, and it stunk.

Well... she was a little kid at the time, so her memories aren't exactly spot on as to the location of the hole. See, I've always wondered why the floor right outside the kitchen doorway dips a little. I found out today.

While I was marveling over the good condition of the linoleum, I uncovered the Hole. It's not really a hole--it's been repaired, but she wasn't kidding when she said they burned a hole in the floor. They melted the linoleum. The wood below is showing, of course, and since they glued the pink and brown floor on top of the burned wood, it's going to be a bear to get off. :(

The burned spot spans the kitchen doorway and is about 12-15 inches wide. That was some candle!

I am glad, however, that I uncovered this, because now I can keep an eye on it. And I'm glad I uncovered it before we rolled the piano through the kitchen doorway--I'm not sure the floor would have held in that spot. It may have, but now I know to at least put something down to span it if we do end up bringing the piano through that door.

Luckily, I can put a rug right there and no one will see it. :)

So that is what I did today. Now I'm tired. However, I will say one thing: this something active every day thing is starting to pay off. I noticed the other day that a pair of pants that had been a bit tight on me weren't tight anymore. They weren't loose either, but they fit perfectly. I can live with that.

There are more pictures on the House St. Clair blog, btw. And I'll probably post two more tomorrow of the burned spot and what I've done so far.

Comments

Popular Posts