At 3:30am, I drifted out of sleep and lay in bed, wondering what had awakened me so early. I heard what I thought were the usual bird sounds outside my window, but then my tired brain realized that I wasn't just hearing the usual bird sounds.

who-who-who-whoooo

Something was screeching, too--another bird, I assume, but I've never heard it before either.

who-who-who-whooooo

I tiptoed out of bed and got my camera, then for the next thirty minutes, tried to catch the elusive sound on audio. I did catch it. I don't have time to upload the clip this morning, but I'll try to do it when I get home tonight.

The audio is really faint, but the sound itself was quite loud. I had an owl in my neighborhood! :)

Edit: I do believe it was a Great Horned Owl. The chicks shrieking sound on this page sounded exactly what I heard! And the sounds are right, too.

Wow! Could we have a nest?!!

Comments

Grey said…
An owl! How wonderful...
Jennifer said…
Except they eat small cats. :)

However, I found no sign of a nest, and I haven't heard anything since then, so who knows?

Popular Posts