I've been reading up on energy conservation, and how you're supposed to be able to keep the heat out of your house during the summer (or try, at least.)

I'd buy window shade thingys (my mind is blanking on the proper name at the moment) for the outside of my west-facing windows, but I hate the way they look and they're not what you could call cheap. And in the wintertime, I want the sun to pour through those windows. I just don't want it during the summer.

So, short of shutters, which isn't the word I was looking for, I decided on curtains instead, and since I'm cheap, I used (of course) bedsheets. This actually doesn't look as bad as you'd think. I put a good quality white sheet up in the living room yesterday, and it actually makes the room look a lot different. (I'm not quite done in there yet.)

I put the curtain up right when the sun was streaming through, and it really made a big difference in temperature. (I did get the window open, but I couldn't get the storm window up because they are backwards. The top is on the bottom and vice versa. So I don't know how we're going to fix that.)

I am actually thinking about putting a ceiling fan in this room. There's no real airflow, since the pocket stained glass window is stuck in place. But I'm not sure the wiring will withstand a ceiling fan. I'll have to ask Dad.


In the green room, I really only have to have the sun blocked at the top of the window. Eventually, there will be trees outside the window to block the sun, but I don't have them yet and that's also where they put the air conditioner (a stupid place, but really the only one.)

The vases on the shelves is an experiment with Museum Putty, to see if it can withstand cats, since the cats like to get on the shelves. Hopefully, I'll be able to put the colored cups and such that were in the living room window on these shelves and the cats won't knock them off. Hopefully!


(I haven't cleaned in here yet.)

And I'm also trying to decide what color to eventually paint this room. It won't be purple, that's for sure, and it probably won't be green either, especially not this shade of green. But we'll see.

(I am waiting for my virus scan to finish, and then I'm going to finish cleaning downstairs!)

Comments

Popular Posts