House inspection report:

Was nothing surprising, but surprisingly informative nonetheless. I learned how to bleed air out of radiators, that my furnace/boiler's life is approximately 50 years (and that it's seven years old), that I have a five year old hot water heater, that I'm going to have a plumbing bill because the hot water doesn't work in the upstairs bathroom, that when the owners replaced the roof, they replaced the entire roof and that's a Very Good Thing, that the house might be older than we thought, because there's another roof up in the attic...

Yes, another roof. Evidently the house has been built on to twice. The original house was four rooms: two up and two down. Then they built on the eqivalent of another house--two more rooms up and down. And then they built on the kitchen and utility room. They didn't remove the old roof, so it's still up in the attic, along with a horse trough made of galvanized steel (thankfully empty.)

I have no idea why there's a horse trough in the attic, though.

There was termite damage to the 'breakfast room' wall at one point--the termites are gone, but the inspector guy said to expect to see damage if I removed the paneling at whatever point. There's also evidence of termites in the garage/shed (the eyesore) but they're gone too. And while he saw where the termites had been under the house, he said they were all gone and that it wasn't affecting the structure of the house. Which is good.

The termite guy is scheduled to come on Monday, though, so hopefully he won't give my any different news than that.

Let's see. It's a typical old house, which means it needs certain updates, but there are things I can live with too. I'll need to learn how to fix tiles in the bathroom, because it seems silly to call in someone to fix five loose tiles when I can learn how to do it myself. (This is the second bathroom, the pink and green one.) Oh, it has a pink sink too, which I didn't notice before, and the faucet needs to be cleaned and the washers replaced in the bathtub, because it drips. Okay.

Oh, and the clawfoot tub in the upstairs bathroom is missing a clawfoot, which won't be a problem to replace, according to Dad (I will be on the lookout for a loose foot at Burlington, I think.)

Let's see. Typical outdated electricity, but again, that can be improved. And the porch roof needs attention, something I will have to get one of my roofer uncles out to help with/advise on.

And really, so far, nothing that I didn't already see. I might have to replace the kitchen door and perhaps another one, though, which is a bit of a bummer, but we'll see how bad the dog damage really is when I take the protective wood barrier off the two doors in question.

Comments

Unknown said…
Enough of the trivial stuff. Where's the DSL? ;-)
Jennifer said…
Well, this is a rural county, Joel. I'm sure it's available, but I will probably be in dialup for a little while.

Popular Posts