I'm trying to rearrange the kitchen at the moment (Okay, not right this second, but twenty minutes ago I decided to stop for the night) and fit everything in the kitchen. If the *&%$#@ gas heater was gone, I wouldn't have an issue, but it's not, so I do. If I knew how to get rid of it, I'd be down there with a wrench and/or a screwdriver right now. Unfortunately, I don't know how to uninstall it and cap off the gas line, and I don't want to blow myself up trying, so I'm going to have to work around it.

Essentially, here is what I'm attempting:

I bought the possum belly table (remember that one? See? I do have a table fetish!) to use as a workspace. It was supposed to be clear and accessible so that when I wanted to use it to make bread or roll out dough for something else or mix up something, I would have a dedicated, clear space.

Well, despite the fact that it looks really nice under the pine shelf, it has ended up with stuff piled on top of it, which means if I ever wanted to use it, I'd have to move all that stuff first. This irritates me, because I bought it to use as a workspace, and it has become just another spot to put kitchen stuff. I even went so far as to put all my bread books in one spot on that table. Which took up even more space... which defeated the purpose of buying it.

At the moment (and this will probably change, because it's not quite what I want, I turned the gateleg table around so the dropleaf we don't use is against the possum belly table, which is adjacent to the stove, if that makes sense. Voila, instant kitchen 'island', kind of. At the moment, the new cherry table is where the possum belly table was before, and the green topped cabinet is just sitting there by its lonesome, because everything doesn't quite fit.

If the gas heater was gone, I could put the gateleg table against the wall and the green topped cabinet beside it. The possum belly table could stay where it is, and the new table could be used as the kitchen table, only for eating. But the gas heater is still there, and the gateleg table is four inches too long to fit on the available wall space. Otherwise, it will stick out seven more inches, instead of being flush with the wall.

This might not look too bad if I can manage to make it look like I did it on purpose, but I have my doubts that I'll be able to do that. But we'll see. It could be that my organizing efforts just won't pan out this time, despite my track record of having everything eventually work out. :) Tomorrow is another day, of course, and I'll be looking at it with fresh eyes. Hopefully.

Who knows; maybe I'll dream of a solution.

Comments

Popular Posts