In my quest for natural cleaning products, and annoyed by the lack of nice scents in most of the cleaning products out there, I went Method-crazy at Target the other day and bought an Omop, along with a bunch of their products. (They were on sale! And how could I possibly resist lavender dish soap?!?)

I've used Method before, of course, and love their lavender floor cleaning solution, but I picked up some other things too--I especially like the compostable dusters that come with the Omop. My kitchen floor smells yummy. (Although if you do buy one, be sure to read the entire user manual. What a hoot!)

With that in mind, I also bought a mop at the rummage sale. It's an oldie, but the mop head is removable and washable, and is made out of what looks like vintage Aunt Lydia's rug yarn. (It was also unused, so it didn't bother me to buy it secondhand.) I washed the mop head without any problems at all. I am pretty sure it will be fairly simple to make more mop heads using the one I have as a visual pattern, since it doesn't seem like I can get replacements anymore. (At least not sewn on canvas and fairly indestructible.)

I also failed to mention that I got a snow shovel, a new hoe, and a rake. I'm still not sure why I bought the rake, since I don't rake my leaves, but whatever. I'm sure I can use it for something.

I would so much prefer to buy secondhand rather than new. New things are so expensive, and what if they aren't as good as they seem? At least with a secondhand item, you're only out a couple of dollars (as opposed to $50 (I should note that I didn't get that brand, but still.) It just makes so much sense to buy things for a lesser price. Sure, you might have to wait a while to find exactly what you want, but the thrill of the hunt is worth the wait.

At least I think so, at least.

(I mean, for example, it has taken me this long to successfully win an auction for needles for my Willcox & Gibbs treadle sewing machine. Once they arrive, though, I'll be able to use it, well, once I put on a new treadle belt or fix the rope that is there now. And I'm still looking for a Cuisinart Pressure Cooker/Steamer manual for my pressure cooker, and now I'm looking for beaters and a dough hook (if the latter exists) for my mixer. I figure I don't really need the exact same bowls that came with it in 1936. I'm not fond of the green bowls anyway.)

Comments

Popular Posts