I knew that once the weather turned a bit nicer, the tomatoes would start back up again, and they didn't disappoint. I picked probably a half a bushel--mostly small ones, so there were more than it seemed--plus about a half a bushel of peppers as well. I dug what I think were the rest of the potatoes, found two cucumbers hiding in the volunteer's dying vine, and ate a bunch of cherry tomatoes.

I left one cucumber behind so perhaps it can volunteer itself again next year. And I'm also tossing rotten tomatoes into the spot where I can't really till (between the spruce tree and the forsynthia) in the hopes that a volunteer tomato grove sprouts up next year as well.

Which leads me to an interesting point: If you can pretty much end up with tomatoes every year by only actually planting them one year, and the same with potatoes, cucumbers, and the like, then why really bother to plant more plants, unless you want a specific variety you don't already have growing? All you have to do to get volunteers is leave some behind. I wonder why peppers don't seem to work the same way?

It's so nice outside, though, that I had to get out and pick stuff this afternoon. Earlier, I spent about an hour playing Morgan, since I've cleaned off my comfy pink chair in my office (by piling all the fabric in front of my closet. Not the best solution, but it works.)

Now I am wondering if I have enough of the grey velvet to make myself a frock coat out of it, instead of using a wool quilt top like I intended (although I'll probably do that as well.)

Comments

Unknown said…
My tomatoes haven't picked up again. I'm jealous. The beans are still going strong, though.

I'm actually dreading the many cherry tomato volunteers I will probably have next year, because I want something else to grow there, for crop rotation (to avoid Solanaceae diseases being passed on through the soil). I think people replant every year because, like you said, you can control the varieties--if you plant hybrids one year the next year the tomatoes aren't as good; ask me how I know. I don't know about peppers or cucumbers, but I saved some seeds from a pepper I bought at the store and I'm going to plant them next year.
Jennifer said…
I'm sorry to hear about your tomatoes! :(

True! But I certainly don't mind a tomato grove in an unused space of the garden. I'm hoping that my vines grow better next year since they'll have that extra space to spread. We'll see.

Popular Posts