Here's a bit about rope beds for anyone else who wants to know--and also, how to string a rope bed, which is something I'll need to know eventually!

Basically, rope beds are beds that use rope to hold the mattress on instead of slats. Back in the day, they were topped with straw filled mattresses. This was before box springs appeared. Some of the rope beds have square posts; some have round posts (mine has round posts), and some have the holes cut into the wood instead of having pegs (although I've never seen any of those at auctions or sales.)

Here are some auctions from ebay that have good pictures. And also a bit about historical rope beds.

Comments

Unknown said…
Why did you want a rope bed? Are they more comfortable?

(I tried asking this on the other comment version and it said I was spam. My feelings are hurt.)
Jennifer said…
We'll see. I don't find regular mattresses/boxsprings very comfy, so hopefully this will be better. I'm contemplating buying a different type of mattress for it.

I would think it would be something like a hammock, really, only strung between wood. But we'll see!

Don't feel bad; it does that to me sometimes. I really need to decide what to do with those comments!

Popular Posts