The weather finally broke, although we didn't get but a smattering of the promised rain. I'm rather disappointed, but not surprised; they've been wrong before, after all. But I was so hoping for some nice, steady rain. Alas--the drought continues. Last I heard, we were either 12 or 19 inches off for the year.

I have to take the Terrible Twosome to the vet this morning for their kitten checkups/shots, etc. Hopefully, all will be well and we can start integrating them into the house, but I'm somewhat shuddering to think of what trouble two little monsters can get into--they may end up being in the bathroom still when we're not home. (I am taking them because Bekah has to work today, of course, and I don't. They are still not my kittens. *grin*)

I chopped lots of peppers to freeze, put more tomatoes in the freezer as well, and made chili yesterday (to use up more tomatoes.) I'm giving Mom a bag of tomatoes to give to someone at church this morning, because I have more coming on and I'm not sure I *need* to freeze anymore whole ones, I'll chop more up, sure, but that's about it. I don't want or need to fill my freezer with tomatoes to get through the winter without running out. I really don't.

I harvested some of the quinoa, but it's just sitting in a bowl, because I need to look up how to process it. I may just do amaranth next year (Like Jenny) and not bother with quinoa if it's too difficult to process properly. I'm still not sure it actually set seed, but there's something in there.

Today, after taking the kittens to the vet, my goal is to clean up the kitchen from yesterday, and then work in my bedroom a bit. I really need to get it cleaned so I can start in my office.

Comments

AndeanNatural said…
Hi! I'm curious of what sort of quinoa you planted- where you got the seed, and where it grew. Normally quinoa only grows at high altitude.

To process the quinoa, you will have to rub away the bitter saponin coating. You can to so by putting the quinoa in a bag (or a sock) and under running water go over it it with a rolling pin, until all the foam goes away. You an then dry the seed in the oven. that should work.

Popular Posts