Well, yesterday we moved Jessica out in the heat of September. By the end of the day (we didn't return until 8pm or so) I was beat.

And of course, that meant I didn't sleep very well last night for some reason.

This morning, I awoke to discover that Dad intended to go to an auction (like I really have any money to spend, but that's beside the point) so I decided I might as well go with him. I didn't buy anything at the auction. Not that I didn't see anything I liked; I did. However, with a 13% buyer's premium in addition to sales tax, I would have had to like it an awful lot to spend all that extra money. (I did find a nice dining room table and chairs there, but after three hours at the auction, they showed no sign of selling them, so we left after Dad bought an early rifle.)

But after we got home and Mom decided to hold off on making more jelly for another day, we went to Goodwill, where I found a turn-of-the-century oak veneer chest of drawers for a whopping $22.50 (it was half price day, so originally $45.) Three of the drawers have some damage to the veneer, but Dad said that can be masked if I stain the bare wood, or I could always re-veneer those three drawers.

Once upon a time, someone had painted this chest of drawers salmon pink. We figured that the person who stripped off the paint accidentally damaged the veneer in the process. However, I think they did a really nice job. It needs two supports on the bottom, which we can create, as well as a bit of regluing, but it's still a nice piece of furniture. So, that's another thing off my list.

(We also picked Jess up a dinette table for all of $5--wood-grained formica with a metal base. It's really cute.) Other than that, I didn't buy a thing. (And I technically didn't buy the chest of drawers. I owe Dad.)

So anyway... that was today.

Comments

Popular Posts