After a bit of a search in the Shed Full of Stuff that Only Looks Like Garbage, I found what Dad thinks is an old axle, three feet long and one in thick, cast iron as far as we can tell (it's definitely not lead.) I pounded it into the middle of the spot I chose for my trellis--a foot deep--leaving two feet (okay, 23 inches) aboveground. That should work.

Ethan helped me pound. And he has really good hand-eye coordination, because he was actually hitting the pole 9 out of 10 times! But it took a good 20 minutes to pound it in 13 inches. Yikes.

Tomorrow evening, I will set up the trellis, make the 'walls', and then plant my pole beans. The cucumbers won't be ready for a little while, so they can wait a bit. But otherwise, a little progress!

Oh, and I made a whole chicken in my crock pot today. It was on for 12 hours, because that's how long I'm away from the house, on low, of course. I sprinkled some basil, rosemary, a seasoned salt mix, and garlic powder on it before I left, added no water, and came home to a very tender and tasty chicken. My only effort was remembering to thaw it out and then remembering to turn on the crock pot! Ha!

The very top was a little dry. I would probably coat some olive oil on the top before I sprinkled on the herbs and spices to see if that would help, next time.

I will definitely do it again. It even browned on the top, all by itself.

Comments

Grey said…
I've never crocked a chicken without adding liquid. Now I've gotta try it!
Jennifer said…
I hadn't either. I was surprised it worked!

Popular Posts