I looked up my refrigerator on the Energy Star website, curious to see if they had any information on it. It took me a while to find the model #, and when I did, the closest one I could find of the same brand was made in 1990. So my fridge could very well be 20 years old. (It has an earlier model # than the one on the website.)

So I decided that since my local Sears store was having a sale on refrigerators and freezers, I'd check them out.

The first thing I asked them was about the Energy Star ratings of the ones they had in stock. They didn't have any idea what I was talking about. The lady even told me that most fridges run about the same. (I did find what I was looking for inside the freezer compartment, and I was shocked at how they really don't run the same.)

Unfortunately, the only Energy Star fridge that they had that was even remotely within my price range (my price range is below $500--for the fridge, not delivery or anything else. It was on sale for $499) has not gotten very good reviews online. And I wasn't really impressed with any of the bins I saw in any of the fridges; they seem really flimsy and easily broken.

The one I looked at had glass shelves, too, which I'm not all that fond of. I'd much rather have metal shelves--they seem much sturdier. The only fridge in the store with all metal wire shelves was not Energy Star compliant. If I'm going to buy a new fridge, I'm definitely getting an Energy Star rated model, and there should be no reason why I have to pay much more than my price range.

So I have made a model list of the size of fridge I'm looking for (from the Energy Star website) and I guess I'll have to do some digging to find a good one. Hopefully before my fridge kicks the bucket!

Comments

Grey said…
Just to put in some info for you: I've had a refrigerator with glass shelves for about twelve years, and I haven't had any problems with it. When I put something hot in the fridge, I do put a hot pad under it, though.
Jennifer said…
Thanks for the info! I'm probably going to have to go with glass shelves anyway; that's good to know.

And yes, the hot stuff is part of my issue. :)

Popular Posts