Last night I started bringing my plants outside, and only got the big ones out before I quit for the night. Tonight, I got most of the others out, and while there are a couple still in the dining room, those are ones I have to decide whether or not they are staying in or coming out this year.

Ethan's red wagon was a big help in getting the plants out en masse. And there really aren't that many of them.

My Curry didn't make it overwinter, though. I thought it was dead, but since it's silver-grey, it was hard to tell. But once I got it outside, I started poking around, and it's definitely dead. It lasted three years, so that's really not that bad, but it's still rather a bummer.

Everything else except for the purslane lived. It just didn't like indoors very much. Some of it is still alive, and I suppose I'll try to keep it alive, but I don't have much hope.

Garden-wise, I was trying to figure out how to create a trellis last night for the pole beans and cucumbers and whatever squash want to go up a trellis. My rule of thumb is cheap or free, and while I love the ladder trellises I've seen in catalogs, there is just no way in Hell I'd ever spend that much money.

That's when I got my semi-brilliant idea. My shed is full of stuff the PO left behind, including one of those collapsible closelines--the old-style metal ones that go up like umbrellas. I had thought it was broken, but it was just a bit tangled up, which I fixed. It's also 6 foot high and 6' x 5' wide, so I think it will do.

I'm trying to figure out what my neighbors will say when they see me lugging this into the garden, though. It will definitely look--shall we say--interesting until the vines start to do their stuff. I'm going to pound a metal pole into the ground right in the middle of the space I've picked out, and then make it a trellis with walls, so to speak.

Oh, and inexplicably, another lettuce plant sprouted among the garlic. This is really strange, because I was seriously considering just putting some lettuce seed around the garlic, just to see if it would grow. And then a lettuce plant shows up.

Weird!

Comments

Popular Posts