Potato, Swiss Chard, and Beet Leaf Scramble

Meal #1 for One Local Summer.

Ingredients:

1 small head of garlic, or 4 cloves
2 tbsp. olive oil (this was not local, obviously)
6 baby carrots
1 small onion
approximately 1/4 cup fresh basil (I used three kinds--Genovese, Petra, and Sweet)
8 small or new potatoes (I had yellow, red, and white)
Approximately 2 cups of swiss chard leaves and beet leaves, or spinach, or other dark leafy greens
Approximately 1 cup of swiss cheese, or your favorite local cheese (I used Amish swiss cheese from the local Amish community.)


You'll need to use a deep skillet or a shallow dutch oven or whatever you call the thing I used. :)
Over medium heat, put 2 tbsp. (or less) of olive oil in the bottom of the pan. Let it get hot, then add chopped garlic (I microwave the cloves first to get them peeled easily), the chopped onion, and chopped baby carrots. Cook this mix while you're slicing the potatoes, then add the potatoes.

Chop up the basil, and add it to the mix. Cover, and cook until potatoes are soft. Wash the swiss chard and beet leaves, and then roll them up into tubes and slice them into curls. I don't know how else to describe it! Add the swiss chard and beet leaves to the mix, and cover.

Cook for approximately 1 1/2 minutes, or until the swiss chard and beet leaves are slightly cooked but not completely wilted, if that makes sense. They'll change colors a bit too, and the potatoes will probably have little pink spots because of the beet leaves.

Add the shredded swiss cheese, cook until the cheese melts, and then serve hot. Makes 2 servings.

Very easy, very yummy, and I'm glad I made this instead! I'm definitely going to make it again. Maybe even tomorrow night. ;)

More pictures here.

Comments

Vicki said…
Forgive me for asking a silly question, but what is swiss chard?
Jennifer said…
A relative of beets and spinach--there's more information here:

http://www.whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=16

I would definitely recommend it!

Popular Posts