So far today, I've pulled up all the turnips (they were really looking bad, and I ended up with a colander full of useable turnips; the rest will go in the compost bin), planted carrots where the turnips were, planted sunflowers where the sunflowers never sprouted, planted 18 basil plants, planted a dozen marigolds, staked the smaller tomatoes (which are growing quite quickly now that it rained), weeded the rest of the side flowerbed (yay!), smiled at my three ripening First Lady tomatoes, realized that planting four sweet 100 tomatoes around the trellis was probably not a good idea, tried to coax my cucumbers to go up the trellis, decided that was enough for the day, and now I'm inside.

I have to eat lunch and then I'll write a bit--I did write a little this morning while I was eating breakfast. (Honey Nut Cheerios with fresh blueberries (not from my blueberries, of course, but the same source we got blueberries from last year. And yes, I have to make more granola.)

I still have basil plants left. I still have one spot where the lettuce is still growing (and still edible; the two lettuce plants in the big garden are going to seed) for more carrots, and I still have some eggplants and tomatoes, too, but I think they're just going to end up in the compost bin, because I HAVE NO MORE ROOM. And let's see--28 planted tomatoes in the big garden, plus three or four volunteers, plus 12 planted tomatoes in Ethan's garden plus at least 15 remaining volunteers (I mulched over the little ones)--that's at least 59 tomato plants. I'm going to be swamped. I DO NOT NEED TO PLANT THE LAST FOUR.

There. Maybe that will convince me! I feel guilty not planting them, though!

The eggplant in the big garden are getting eaten by fleabeetles, but the ones in the cistern bed look great and are growing sans fleabeetles. We'll see how they end up growing; if I lose the ones in the big garden, it's obviously no big deal. But the potatoes survived, and the beans survived the fleabeetle attacks, so maybe the eggplants will as well.

Out of the four pepper plants I planted in between the turnips and the swiss chard, three are still alive. They were buried in the turnips, so I uncovered them and we'll see what happens. I think they are just regular peppers, so that's ok if they don't do anything.

Oh, and I forgot--I need to pick the broccoli again. I'll have to do that this evening, I guess.

Comments

Popular Posts