Rice Milk Recipe (for Jenny and anyone else who might want it.)

1/2 c. rice
4 cups water
Vanilla, to taste
Sugar, to taste, or other sweetener

Combine rice and water, cook until rice is really soft. (I microwaved it in my microwave rice cooker for probably 15 minutes.) Pour resulting mess into blender or food processor; I used the 'puree' button on my blender. I put the vanilla and just a teensy bit of sugar in at this time. I think I probably put a teaspoon of vanilla in.

The original directions then said to strain through a cheesecloth--hahahaha. What I ended up with was rice milk pudding (think Jell-o pudding) that was rather thick. And in truth, the bits were so tiny, it wasn't worth straining them out anyway, so I didn't.

I poured what I had into a 32 oz. glass fridge bottle and diluted it with water until it was full. It's still a bit thick, but not much thicker than say, Vitamin D milk. It looks like milk. It smells like rice pudding, though, which isn't really a horrible thing. It tastes okay. I could use it with cereal and not notice that much. Drinking it straight, though, might take some getting used to. More vanilla might be the answer, or something else that I haven't thought of yet.

I am going to experiment a bit more with it, and see if you can mix other types of milk with it--I've heard an almond/rice milk mixture is good. I'm also going to try sunflower seed milk, just because it sounds really... strange, but it's also supposed to be good. We'll see.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks!
Grey said…
This is fascinating.

I just... can't do it, though. I love milk. I can go without a lot of other things, but not milk.

But I do treat it like a luxury item.

Popular Posts