Never leave me unattended where there is fabric for sale...

Actually, I do quite well at fabric stores. I gravitate towards the remnants, and that's where I can get into trouble.

I have... six 20-gallon containers, four large garbage bags, and two small garbage bags full of fabric. I just poked through a few of them, and I see very little that I don't think I might use. This is both good and bad. Good in the fact that I found enough muslin and flesh-colored fabric to set me up for this year, and bad in the fact that I have so much fabric I'm not sure what to do with it all...

It's quite funny, really, and all my mom's fault. She's the one who got me into this crafting thing, after all. When I was a kid, Mom was in charge of the craft show at church (the same one I set up at now.) She crafted a bit, and one year, made some cute teddy bears (I bought one, but it got assimilated into the family collection. It now sits on top the player piano in the living room. But by watching mom, the crafting bug bit me, so it's all her fault. :)

You know, I said making dolls was a copying thing at first, but in fact, it wasn't. Case in point:

The first doll I made was out of long grass that grew in the field next to our house. Her name was Elizabeth, and I still have her! Made out of grass! I'm not quite sure where she is right at this moment (I think still in Bethel, but I'm not sure), but I know she was still around less than a year ago. That was in fifth grade.

Around the time when the cabbage patch dolls were popular, I got a great and wonderful idea to make Paper Patch dolls--cut out and stapled dolls made out of paper and drawn by me. I still have the first paper patch doll as well--she's in one of my boxes up in the loft (in Bethel.) (Mom and Dad, if you read this, don't throw her out! Posterity, you know!)

But after the paper patch dolls, I really didn't make any dolls until we got a book called Rag Dolls and How to Make Them in at the library. I was so impressed by this book (and, in particular, the Button and Bead doll in the book), that I bought my own copy. And I really haven't looked back since. I don't have pictures of all my dolls, unfortunately, but I'd say 85% of the dolls I've made have sold. I think that's pretty good.

So I have a doll on my craft table right now who is just sitting there waiting to be dressed, and I can't finish her because doing crafts isn't on my calendar until after Jan. 26th and the end of OCS. sigh. She's going to be cute, too--a hippy gypsy fairy with black curly hair, pierced ears, a cool headband, and very colorful clothes. I love her already.

Anyway. It's now time to write for an hour before I go to bed. More later, I'm sure...

Comments

Popular Posts