Before the drama started last night, I was having fun trying out a new craft. See, I love stained glass--especially my stained glass window in the living room--and I've been itching to add more stained glass to the house by using some of the permanent enamel stained glass paints. (Yes, I know it's not real.)

So yesterday I stopped at Michael's, and after having a sort of dither whether or not I should buy transparent or opaque paints (and I'm buying the rest online--$3.99 a bottle is just too much) I decided to try a sample pack of the basic colors and go from there.

Last night, I decided I might as well do a sample piece, so I gathered my supplies in the kitchen (having a cat in isolation in the upstairs bathroom is a pain and the office is a mess, so I didn't really have any place to paint up here) and found a small piece of flat glass from a unusued picture frame.

Everything went well until I got done and was holding my masterpiece up to the dining room light--and promptly flipped the whole thing onto the paper towel I was holding it with. ARGH!

Anyway, here's a picture of faux-stained-glass-with-air-bubbles, or my disaster:

It actually doesn't look that bad in real life, and I like the colors (they're darker than in the picture.) The purple was painted on with a brush, and the blue was painted on using the tube, which resulted in a much smoother and less brush-like look, obviously.)

One of my goals is to paint this door in colors to match the authentic stained glass window:


I'm thinking reds and blues and purples and greens. Maybe yellow on the four corners, to match the walls, but I don't really like yellow, so we'll see. I'm going to try to photoshop it and see what I can come up with.

So I had to see how the paints would work vertically, since I'm not taking the door down to paint the windows. So after my disaster last night, I decided I might as well try something else, and came up with this:
It's a little glass greenhouse thingy that my ex-inlaws gave me that I've never been able to find a plant to go inside. So I decided it would be my guinea pig for vertical painting.

Here's a close-up:
You can't really see it in the picture, but the blue paint was a bit thick and did run towards the bottom a bit. It didn't drip, and it really only looks like that part of the glass is a bit thicker. The red and green are brushed on, and thus look like old-fashioned wavy glass.

What got me started on this idea was when I found (and made Dad pick up since he was behind me) a twelve-paned window in the garbage on my way home:

I am going to make it into a faux stained glass window and probably hang it in front of a window maybe in the dining room or somewhere else. We'll see.

Oh, and if anyone else is interested in painting glass using the Delta PermaEnamel paints (I think that's what they are called), the directions call for you to prepare the surface with their 'surface conditioner' before painting.

Don't buy the big expensive bottle of 'surface conditioner'. It's rubbing alcohol. Go buy some at the drugstore for $.98 instead! (The paint is expensive enough!)

Comments

Popular Posts