Since my office is done, I decided to celebrate by doing something I thought up a while ago but didn't have the space to do it in. And since we all got up really early this morning (normal time, really, but still, that 'extra' hour is nice), I thought I could finish something, too.

Well, without further ado, here's Jonathan:


He is my very first Recycled Sweater (100% wool) Button Bear. He stands about 13" tall, which is a good height for a bear, I think, and a size I'm quite comfortable with. This was, incidentally, my first attempt at sewing a bear with a head gusset. I think he turned out quite well.

I had initially downloaded this pattern (pdf file, so slow-loading on dial-up) for him, but after thinking about it, decided it would be easier just to draw my own, since I plan on selling these, and I don't like using other people's patterns to sell.


All in all, he took about three hours to complete. I'm not counting the hour and a half it took me to find the beads for his eyes, nose, and joints, because if I had been smart, I would have gotten them out earlier.

And I might make another one today. It's still early, after all, and half my list is already crossed off. (And I should make some stuff for the craft show. One container of stuff isn't all that much, in truth.)

It will be hard to part with him. :)

Note: He does have a couple of mistakes. His head's on crooked, but I tried to make it look like I meant it that way. I cut the hole for one of his legs on the wrong side, but you can't really tell unless you look closely.

He is machine sewn except for his head. I started out machine sewing his head, but I couldn't figure out how to do it properly. Oh, and my sewing machine needle finally broke. After that denim pillow for Mabel, I was expecting it to break. I'm sure sewing through double thicknesses of a thick sweater didn't help, either.

So I'm thinking about marketing these so people could mail me their motheaten/worn-out/shrunken sweaters and I could make bears out of them. How does that sound?

Comments

Popular Posts