Is it serendipity when things just fall into place?

First it was the long table, which fit perfectly in the space I had for it in the laundry room. Then there was the bookcase I put on top of the table, which fit perfectly between the window frame and the washer.

In my quest to reorganize, I also wanted to empty the two pantry cabinets in the kitchen and use one big shelf in the laundry room for the pantry stuff. I originally wanted that room to be a walk-in pantry anyway. It's not ever going to be just a pantry, but I'd still like for the stuff to be in there; that way we can stand the cracker tins up, etc., instead of shoving everything onto shelves that weren't made for pantry stuff.

So I reorganized the appliances, cleared off an entire shelf, found enough room for everything without getting rid of much at all, and the pantry is now in the laundry room.

Those two empty cabinets--well, one of them now houses the glassware and the large bundt pans I have on the very top shelf. Emptying the glassware shelf meant I could spread out my glass and ceramic baking dishes so they are easier to get to in the other cabinet.

The second cabinet is still empty for the moment; I'm trying to decide what to put in it.

My other goal was to move the litterbox. See, when they built these shelves, they just built them and they're really deep and kind of awkward. They fit a lot, though, but there's a large space under the shelves that is really just about big enough for Mabel's crate. I think it's a bit too tall, actually. But it's a large space. The only problem is that if there's something sitting beside the washer, getting to the stuff on the far end of this space is difficult.

The microwave cart used to be beside the washer. I'd cleaned out the laundry room once before, but it just wasn't working that well. It would have been nice to slide the microwave cart under the shelves, but it's the same height as the shelves, so that didn't work.

The space where the litterbox is now is a really tall space, obviously made for cleaning supplies. There's a lot of wasted space there.

Last night, I got an idea, measured the microwave cart, and found that it will slide right into the tall space without a single hitch, creating three shelves if you count the top of it. And I do mean exact. It's 13 inches wide and my space is 15 inches wide. How cool is that?

The litterbox can go under the big space, along with the litterbox in the bathroom that I've been wanting to move out of there for months. I can get a curtain rod and put up a curtain to hide the litterboxes, and the tracking should be better too, since they'll sit pretty far back and I can use the big rubber mat that's in the bathroom to catch litter.

Serendipity? That's an awful lot of coincidences for a awkwardly designed little room.

Oh, and I picked my first zucchini yesterday. I have a round zucchini almost ready to pick, and then the others are all about the same size. I also dug up another potato plant, pulled up two more big carrots, and picked a small amount of green beans. There were a couple cherry tomatoes ripe, but no big tomatoes yesterday, although there are two almost ready to pick. The pole beans are blooming, the cucumbers are blooming like mad, and the inside of the trellis is bursting with green. Next year, I'll have to remember not to plant two Sweet 100 tomatoes inside the trellis. Yikes.

I have baby peppers, too, and one baby spaghetti squash so far. I'll try to take some pictures today or tomorrow, but for now, I have to go eat breakfast, make something for the potluck at church today, and get going.

Comments

Popular Posts