Two of the books I got from Amazon were In Praise of Slowness and Affluenza, so going to Burlington to buy stuff actually felt a bit strange. But I thought about my purchases, and actually passed up a few things, including a painted wooden bookcase for $25, an old Schwinn bicycle for $45, and a really nice old table for $40, among other things. I fed my table fetish later, but I only bought two things at Burlington. (We also stopped at a used bookstore and the antique mall.)


The first thing I found was a gallon (at least) iced tea jar, not old, but with a nice stainless spout and a glass lid for $8. It's not old, but it's exactly what I was looking for earlier this spring when I decided I wanted a glass iced tea jar (and not one with a plastic spout that you can buy at the grocery store; I want one that will last for a while.) The only issue is that I have to rearrange my fridge shelves to fit it in the fridge. But that should be workable.

The half gallon jugs I got for iced tea are great, but when I'm just drinking plain tea or I'm home, I tend to go through almost a gallon a day. So what I'm thinking is that the big jar will be for plain tea, and the half gallon jugs will be for flavored teas. That should work.

The second thing I found was a folding sewing table. It's walnut, and in lovely condition, with an 1884 date on the back. The nice thing about this table is that it folds, so I can slide it away somewhere when I have my office in order, to be pulled out and used when needed.

It's a really nice table, and should be useful up in my office or somewhere else, if needed. The table was marked $25, which was a steal in itself, but of course I asked the lady selling it if she would take anything less. After much thought, she accepted my offer of $20, which was even better of a steal.

While carrying the table back to the car, we were stopped by a guy who said he had just bought a folding sewing table, but his didn't have the nice stenciling on the underside like mine does. He said that he paid $30 for his--and Dad said, "Well, she (me) just paid $20 for this one." Haha!

And that was it for Burlington. There was a 30% chance of rain, and it did sprinkle a little, but the real rain didn't arrive until later.

After Burlington, we stopped at a new used bookstore/collectible shop, where I met a very nice kitty named Judy and found a cookbook! I just bought two of Deborah Madison's cookbooks, so this one was nice to find.



After that, we went to the Farmer's Market, where I had hoped to get some blackberries or blueberries. Alas, the lady who sells them was out, but I did score some local honey!

It wasn't cheap, but I'm sure it's worth it. Considering the prices in the stores now, it was reasonable enough. And now I just have to remember what recipe I wanted to make that called for honey. Argh.

After the farmer's market, we went to the Florence Antique Mall. This was the first time we've been there all year, and since we got done with Burlington rather early (by this time it might have been close to noon) we decided to go.

I'm glad we did! Not only did I get to eat made-from-scratch chocolate pie (with no pudding!) but I also bought two things.

One of those things was a large teapot made by Gibsons of England (it's dark brown, but looks black in the picture.) I have mostly small teapots, so having a big one is nice. (And I'm going to be weeding my teapot collection, too.) It was $12, which I think was a great price.

The other thing I found, which really didn't belong in an antique mall, was this:


I certainly didn't expect to buy a lawnmower yesterday! It's a Brill Ideal Luxus 40. I'm not finding any information about this particular model online except from German language sites (so maybe it wasn't sold in the US?) but the Brill Luxus 38 sells for $214 new and about $150-$170 on ebay, so the $50 I paid for this one really sounds like a deal to me. (I think the ebay auction link there means that it's being sold for about $50 in Germany, if I did the conversion right. So still not bad at all.)

So I'll definitely be the talk of the neighborhood now, what with my electric lawnmower and now the reel lawnmower. Since Mom and Dad's little gas mower is dying, I'm going to give mine to them, probably, since I definitely don't really need it anymore.

The nice thing about it is how quiet it is and how well it works. It poured yesterday (while we were in the antique mall for us, and later on at home and in Bethel) but even with wet grass it cut a portion of Dad's grass with ease. I think I'm really going to like it a lot. (And my grass does need to be cut; I just have to let it dry now.)

No more struggling with the pull thingy on the lawnmower! No more gas! No more having to restart it if you have to stop and get something out of your way! And probably--no more clogs!

Comments

Unknown said…
What's the use of the two types of lawnmowers? I thought you were happy with the electric one.
Jennifer said…
The electric one's battery more than likely won't last for the entire yard. I had to get the gas one out last time. I'm going to time it this time, since it wasn't fully charged the first time, but at least I'll have a non-gas backup, along with one that will give me a bit of a workout. :)

Popular Posts