Despite the fact that potatoes are supposed to be 90-day crops, mine have been dying in stages for the past two weeks. I only planted six--and I knew there were potatoes there, because one came uncovered and I covered it back up earlier in July.

Well, I have six pounds of beans that need to be eaten, and Ethan's b-day party is tomorrow. Mom suggested we make a big pot of ham and beans to go along with everything else, and that I could dig up one or two potato plants and see what I get.

So I dug two absolutely dead ones up (the others are still dying, so they can wait) and ended up with 15 potatoes. I don't think that's bad at all! I also picked two lemon cucumbers, a zucchini from one of the two remaining plants, and two early summer crookneck squash.

The lemon cucumbers seem to be the only cucumber vines that are thriving. I'll definitely plant these again next year. They're loaded with tiny little cucumbers. The regular cucumber vine (the one that was supposed to be a bush) has two tiny cucumbers on it, but they don't look very good at all. And I haven't seen any sign of the yard-long cucumbers or the Armenian cucumbers. Argh!

Earlier this afternoon, I went to Wal-Mart and bought Ethan a Dirt Devil Power Sweep for his birthday. See, he has a toy Dirt Devil sweeper and he likes to pretend to sweep the floors quite often. I am of the mind that if he's sweeping, he might as well really sweep while he's at it.

It's cute, and you can not add one section of handle, which makes it perfectly his size. And boy does it pick up cat hair nicely! I swept half the dining room rug even before it had charged five minutes and it picked everything right up. The thing I like about it too is that it stops if something gets caught in the bristles, so you definitely know if something's wrong. (It's cordless, too, which is nice as well.)

That's not all I got him for his birthday, so don't look at me like that! :)

I also picked up another bale of straw from Mom and Dad's so Ethan and I can finish mulching his garden tonight. He has more watermelons on the vine--two more, I think, that are (big) gumball sized at the moment. The original watermelon is just about the size of a small baseball.

Comments

Popular Posts