Hmm, that was weird. I went to type this post and couldn't type! My keyboard wasn't talking to this screen or any other. It's working now, though, obviously.

Yesterday was tiring, just because it was so hot outside. And since it was hot outside, it was hot inside too. I did turn on the air, but that really only reaches two (maybe three) rooms, so it wasn't conductive to getting a lot done around the house. I baked bread and did laundry and everything, but that was about all.

I did get out in the garden to pick, and only (ONLY!!!!!!) picked nine cucumbers. It really does look like the cucumbers might be starting to be on their way out, though; it's really about time. The zucchini and other summer squash is definitely on their way out. The winter squash is still growing. I think there's an acorn squash in there that probably weighs close to 4lbs.

I picked two small paste tomatoes, and there are others starting to ripen, too. About 2lbs. of beans, which seems to be the standard per picking no matter how long I wait. A handful of okra, which is nice, because now I have enough to eat for supper one night this week. One beet, one big zucchini, and three yellow squash. I know I said they were on their way out, which they are. These had been waiting for a little while. However, the zucchini in the kitchen garden are fine and growing, so I'll still have zucchini for a while.

I made freezer pickles yesterday, which used up a whole 4 cucumbers--big deal--so I still have bunches to use up or give away. I'd say I'll definitely not plant 15 cucumber plants next year, but the thing is, cucumbers don't usually grow that great around here. This is an unusual year.

Baking-wise, I decided on scones instead of muffins, and will definitely make that recipe again. With the sourdough starter, you don't add anything else to make it rise. I added cinnamon and vanilla to the mix to make cinnamon scones and they are tasty! I'm going to have one for breakfast this morning. The french bread turned out fine too, although I'm still getting too much rise that splits the top from the bottom a bit too much. I thought I had it fixed, but it didn't work, so I'm not sure what to do about that.

I also picked one quart of blackberries. I'm not quite done with those yet, either. And I noticed that the potatoes in the sandbox are finally starting to die back; I'll start digging them up once they are wholly dead.

Comments

Popular Posts