My baking table is full of tomatoes again. Don't get me wrong--I'm not complaining at all. But that means I'm going to be juicing tomatoes tomorrow evening or Thursday evening, and I probably have enough for another seven quarts. That would bring my total to fourteen quarts, which is about 1/3 of what I'd like to have on hand. And for two juicings, that's not at all bad.

In the winter, I make a pot of soup per week. One quart of tomato juice goes into one pot of soup. But then, I have the chili supper, other pots of soup, and spaghetti sauce, so a total of 40 quarts would be nice. That's 10 gallons. I probably won't get there, but you never know. The way they are bearing right now, I may just make it.

And that doesn't count the tomatoes I have eaten and will eat, or the ones in the freezer leftover from last year which I also intend to juice, because I will have the volunteers from this year to freeze when I get more of those.

If I get 10 gallons of juice out of 62 tomato plants (and three of those are cherries) not counting the volunteers, then it will be a very good year for tomatoes. We shall see.

I also picked cucumbers--about a dozen, but these are actually for someone--and about a pound of beans. I found another half cup or so of shell beans and dried beans, which I shelled and stuck in the bean bag in the freezer.

I also picked two spaghetti squash and one acorn squash, and okra, of course. I found a couple of nice sized beets along the perimeter of the garden, and also saw that one of the few edible chrysanthemums that sprouted is getting ready to bloom. So far this year, I certainly can't complain about my garden's bounty!

Comments

Popular Posts