I had to go pick the almost-ripe tomatoes again, because it's supposed to rain for the next few days. Thank goodness that the humidity broke right before I went outside in my long pants and actual shoes*. Now my baking table is full of tomatoes, so I see the Squeezo in my future; I probably have enough for a couple quarts, at least.

I also picked more cucumbers**, a nice assortment of beans, two more acorn squash, two handfuls of okra, and did I mention tomatoes? I also accidentally picked a green tomato, so I guess I'll have fried green tomatoes one night this week. I did get out back to pick tomatoes, but nothing else. The blackberries and zucchini will have to wait.

Today after work, I decided to stop by the Salvation Army store, forgetting that it was Wednesday and the 50% off practically everything (clothing-wise) day. For $28, I found seven sundresses--yes, seven--all of which fit me just fine. I don't think I've ever gone there and found so much. One of the dresses is just lovely; all of them that have sizes are size 12, not size 14, which is my usual size. I don't know what to think about that, because I don't think I've lost much (if any) weight.

Five I can wear to work; two are maybes for work, but probably not. One is from J. Jill, and is a size medium; that one was a gamble, because I really didn't think it would fit, but it did. The one I really really love has a floral pattern in that olive green color with brown and white; it's really pretty. (My sister Emily would like it too.) One has a pink paisley pattern--I am usually completely against pink, but I like it and it actually looks nice on me. One is actually orange and white, another aberration on my usual colors. Two are black, one is plain olive green. And one is a really nice red print that is almost but not quite tight on me.

So I am pleased with my purchases.

I left the yellow one behind because it was a size 6--if I had thought one of my sisters would have worn it, I would have bought it because I really liked that one too.

They are all in the dryer now, because I'd like to wear the olive green/brown/white one to work tomorrow.

But after looking at some of these dresses (I'm wearing one of the earlier sundresses that I bought this year right now, because it's still really humid), I decided to go searching for patterns, because I can make these. I swear I can; they seem to be really, really simple. So I found three sets of patterns at Simplicity.com--for $4.29 each--and spent $13 on patterns with free shipping. So we'll see. I have an awful lot of fabric upstairs to use up. I'd love to make clothing with some of it.





*as opposed to sandals, that is.
**of course! And not just one or two, but seven!

Comments

Grey Walker said…
I love a good thrift store score like that!

You know, if they're simple enough, you can use the dresses themselves, as patterns...
Jennifer said…
Me too! :)

Yes, I know. The one I am wearing today is simple enough to make a pattern from, which I do intend to try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Popular Posts