After the shade hit my garden, I went out for a bit and picked, and picked, and picked. Only 1 1/2lbs of green beans, but a handful of cranberry beans (dried) were ready to pick, so I picked them as well. Five purple peppers (I will be chopping up peppers to freeze either tomorrow or Monday, I think), five lemon cucumbers, a bunch of sweet 100 tomatoes, a couple spaghetti squash, seven sweet dumpling squash, one delicata squash (the vines are all dead, so I'm only leaving the ones that are alive and still growing in the garden, and I have squash worms that are getting into some of the fruit), more First Lady tomatoes and three Great White tomatoes.

I spied lima beans, cannellini beans, hutterite beans, and bunches of cucumbers coming on. And the Zapotec Pleated tomatoes are sooooooo cool looking. They look like drawstring bags. I hope they taste as good as they look. I didn't buy the seeds; Seeds of Change gives out free packs of seeds with orders, and that was one of the free packs. I'm definitely going to grow them again. I might even try to save some seeds from them, too. And my sweet potatoes are spreading like crazy now; I didn't have to worry about the squash shading them out at all. :)

I picked one purple eggplant that had been nibbled on a bit because I didn't want it to rot, so I'll be working that into something as well. I'm going to do something with squash for this week's One Local Summer meal. I have spaghetti squash in the fridge (after cutting out the worms, dammit) that needs to be made into something, along with a bunch of other stuff as well.

Speaking of eggplant, though; I'm definitely planting more and some different varieties next year. I'll plant the Turkish Orange again, and maybe one of the long skinny purple ones too--we'll see. I'm having a lot of fun with the different peppers, too. I ate a Bulgarian Carrot Pepper the other day, and was surprised by the taste. Just a hint of heat, nothing much at all to worry about. They're still yellow, though, so not quite ready yet. The Paprika Alma peppers are good too.

I may also plant all the squash in the backyard next year, but we'll see how things go. Yes, I'm already making plans for next year. :)

Comments

Popular Posts