My dreams had me in snow last night, or this morning, really, getting up very early on a snowy morning to watch the sunrise over the woods in my parents' backyard. I kept trying to shift it to my house, but it seemed I either wasn't living here anymore or else that dream belonged solely to my parents' house, which is weird, because it's been a while since I've dreamed myself there.

Maybe it's the heat. :)

Anyway, so I was all bundled up in a coat I don't actually own, but in my nightgown (the one I wore last night, even) with my hair in two braids, my face was freezing and numb, but evidently I was smart enough to wear boots. I walked around the front of the house, to the greenhouse, which was--oddly--almost empty, and then into the back to the woods.

And then just as the sun rose, I turned around to leave and saw a group of teenagers standing just outside the orchard. They were holding sticks and stuff, but I wasn't afraid--there were about 15 of them--and I asked them what they were doing on my parents' property. They said they were going into the woods, and--although they were wearing short sleeved shirts and shorts in some cases and the snow was still on the ground--they asked me if I intended to stop them. (How rude!)

I asked them if they had asked permission, and if no, then why not? It's not like I wasn't willing to share the magic of the woods--the dream magic of the woods, that is--with anyone else. So, haltingly, they asked permission and I sent them on their way.

Of course I joined them, because I wanted to see the waterfall again, and perhaps visit the creek full of Interesting Things, and perhaps even that abandoned house in the side of the hill. I found my stick--one of my walking canes, although not my favorite ones (I wouldn't have taken that one out in the snow anyway) and followed them into the forest just as the first light of dawn broke over the trees.

Comments

Popular Posts