It officially hit 100 today. My kitchen was 88.3 when I got home, still an improvement over outside. Upstairs was about 89 degrees, and it's only gone down 5 degrees since 6pm, so I'm on the laptop again.

I had to go outside to call customer service for my phone this evening, since it keeps dropping calls. It's rather a bit more annoying than I'd like, so hopefully they can remedy the problem. They said they would let me know.

Right now, this is the fourth time I've dialed Bekah's number. ARGH.

They are saying that the last time it got this hot was the summer of 1999. The last time we had a drought was 1999 too, so I'm trying to remember what the winter of 1999 was like, but I can't. I do remember the summer of '99, though--that was after my ex had decided to move to Columbus, and I had to drive up to Columbus on the Saturdays I was off. I also remember driving up there on the hottest day of the year (hmm, today?)--with no air conditioning in my car, windows wide open, and falling asleep at the wheel. Halfway to Columbus, my speakers overheated and went out, so I had to sing to myself--in 100 degree heat--while driving up to Columbus.

I almost called the whole thing off right then and there. In retrospect, I should have. :)

By the time I made it to Columbus, my clothes were so wet that I had to wring them out.

The heat wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the humidity, which just sucks.

But I did make it out to the garden tonight, where I picked about 15 or so more red beets, a bunch of tomatoes, a pound and a half of beans, and three cucumbers. I also picked a pepper. I wore my long skirt outside and wetted it down, because doing that does give me a bit of relief from the mosquitoes. Oh, I dug up the Very Last old potato plant, too, which netted me about six (and three quite large) red potatoes.

But now I need to hop in the shower and get upstairs, where I'll write for a bit and try to pretend that the house will be cooler tomorrow morning. I would like for this excessive use of electricity to be good for something, after all.

(I gave Mabel a bath today, too.)

Comments

Popular Posts