Okay. This whatever-kind-of-cold of mine has progressed from a sore upper throat (sinuses) last night) to that irritating drippy nose this evening. The sore sinuses are almost gone, though. Quickest damn cold I've ever had (I am hoping all the work I'm doing outside will kick it out of my system.)

Tonight's goal: plant my Raintree order. Since some of it came in pots (and some of it is teeny tiny) I decided to plant the bare rooted stuff (currants, blueberries, and a Carolina Allspice I forgot I ordered), and I also planted the Rosa Rugosa.

I chickened out on the currants and the blueberries. My original intent was to plant them in front and on the side of the garden up front, but I've decided that I'd rather have a 'berry orchard' (Dad says I have to call it a 'berry patch', but I don't want to) where the little garden is because the blackberries are enroaching anyway.

What I really want to do is plant hardy hibiscuses all along the front, so that is what I'm going to do.

So I planted the blueberries and currants in the little garden, mulched everything, and it looks so much nicer now. (I still have parts of the little garden that need to be mulched, but the majority of it is done.)

This means, of course, that all the veggies have to go out front this year, which is okay.

What is not okay is the fact that I came home from work and walked out onto the front porch to water my seedlings and found my entire flat of Red Fig tomatoes completely obliterated. Something obviously ate them. Something else uprooted some of the herbs I'd planted in another pot, too. I can only blame the starlings that eat the cat food. I am also very mad, because I was looking forward to having Red Fig tomatoes this year.

*hates starlings* Grrrrrr.

(And this is, of course, all the Red Fig tomatoes that germinated, because I had very low germination this year. Damn it.)

(And yes, my Amazon order did come, or, the part of it that was shipped did come. I had two big boxes (the Raintree order and the Amazon order) on my porch when I got home tonight.)

(And, last year around Christmas time, I bought a pair of Beach Trekker shoes from Lands' End, because I thought they would be good garden shoes (and finding a pair of shoes that don't make my feet sweat are one in a million) for when I need to use the shovel or the pitchfork. I've ruined a good pair of sandals by using them in the garden with the shovel. So I got a pair because they were on clearance for something like $10, didn't really like them once they arrived, and kind of forgot about them. Today at work, one of my coworkers showed me a pair of similar shoes in a catalog, and she mentioned they'd probably be great garden shoes. I thought, hey! I have a pair of those. So I found them (still in the box) when I got home from work, and wore them without socks while I worked out in the little garden. They were perfect.)

Comments

Grey said…
Hurray for good garden shoes! Boo for starling wars!

Popular Posts