Eating from my backyard.

Right at the moment, I have new potatoes, swiss chard, beets and beet greens, garlic, chives, broccoli, kale, and by the end of the week, I'll have green beans to eat from my garden and maybe a zucchini or two. In a couple of weeks I'll have blackberries, too. Later on, I'll have more potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, and more.

I have no reason to buy any produce because I have everything I'd want here.

So, my new rule for the summer is to eat what I grow and when I can't--there are things I can't grow enough of, like wheat for flour--I will buy organic and/or local, whatever is available. I can buy local eggs (which are very yummy), I can buy Ohio cheese. (Although I'm considering relaxing the cheese rule for a bit; they had imported aged cheddar from Ireland at Meijer and I bought some and it was fabulous! I also bought smoked provolone. YUM.)

Essentially, my biggest costs are cheese and flour. (The eggs are $3/dozen, which in my opinion are well worth it.)

I am trying to patronize the store-brand organics for when I do buy stuff like pasta--I think it's great that the stores see enough of a profit to have their own organic line, although I'm not sure about the 'product of Italy' on the pasta I bought, food miles-wise. So that might need some tweaking.

But I'm working on it. Right now, I don't need to buy vegetables at all from the stores. Which is a good beginning.

Comments

Popular Posts