Tonight's dinner: new potatoes with swiss chard and Ohio butter. Mmmmm. Good!

And when I walked out to the kitchen garden, I noticed that the garlic was getting a bit crispy on top. This usually means they're ready to harvest, so I pulled one up to see.

Pretty darned close. I'll be harvesting by the end of the week, I think. Which means I really need to take down the rest of the old garlic, and make a big pot of spaghetti sauce in the slow cooker while I'm on vacation to use some of it up since I will have so much new garlic to use.

I'm going to make the attempt to eat some swiss chard every day. That's the only way I'm going to keep on top of it, and I really like it cooked. I could eat swiss chard and new potatoes every single evening and not get tired of it at all.

(Last year, I harvested the garlic on June 23 last year, so this year it's been a bit slower to ripen. but last year was a drought year, so it made sense that it would ripen earlier. Of course, I was harvesting tomatoes last year by now, but I got them in a lot earlier, too.)

In the big garden, my volunteer potatoes are really doing good, even though I'm not killing the potato bugs this year (as much.) They stripped one of them, and it grew back, so I'm not really worried. And it's not like I won't have plenty of potatoes. I have baby pole beans and my bush beans are also blooming, and I have loads of baby tomatoes, too. I even have a pepper that is about two inches long. It's coming along.

My baby zucchini died, but there are more female buds on the zucchini and the yellow squash, so hopefully I will have that soon too.

Comments

Popular Posts