I cleaned the kitchen today.

The kitchen table, which I haven't seen the whole of for what feels like months is cleaned off. My baking table is empty except for the cookies I made to celebrate. The dishes, save for five big items and a couple small ones that can really wait until tomorrow, are done as well. I swept the floor, but didn't mop yet. The rugs are in the dryer.

I went through my tea shelf, rearranged, and then, after deciding to go ahead and order the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day book from Amazon (I will be going to Borders tomorrow or Tuesday, whichever day I am working 8-5 to find remaindered books to buy with my gift card, and I also need a weekly calendar as well), discovered that they had my Celestial Seasonings Wellness Tea for $20/6 boxes*, which is significantly cheaper than Kroger's price. (Note to anyone interested: I bought this tea on a whim. Every time I've thought I was coming down with something this winter, I've had a cup of this tea. And every single time, I haven't caught whatever I was coming down with. It's amazing stuff!)

I ordered some other books from Amazon too. Basically, I spent my Christmas money on a book order. I wanted to use it for something special, and books are special enough. I ordered the following books: Greens Glorious Greens, (it evidently has kale recipes, which I really need), 366 Ways to Cook Rice, Beans, and Grains; Whole Grains, Every Day, Every Way, the Artisan Bread book, King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking, and, because it was on sale for cheap, Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook. Do you sense a theme here? :)

Essentially, what I'm looking for is a good cookbook so I can experiment with whole grain cooking. Since I have no room on my cookbook shelves for any of these cookbooks, I will be going through them a bit to weed before I receive my order.

I also decided--after much thought and deliberation, that I am not going to buy any more fiber-related equipment in 2009**, unless I sell something I have after trying it out and deciding it's not for me. There's a lady nearby who is selling a four-harness LeClerc loom, bench, extra reeds, and supplies for $400, and maybe if I had an extra $400 lying around I'd go ahead and buy it. But I know what will happen if I do: it will sit while I concentrate on other things, and by the time I eventually get around to working with it (think my big floor loom, which sat since May, or the spinning wheels, for that matter), it will have sat for months without use. (Or my serger.)

And what I really need to do instead of spend $400 is use what I have and decide if I really have enough for what I want to do with this. In all honesty, I probably do have enough. I am much more a color than pattern person anyway.

So one of my goals for the new year is to utilize the equipment I already have and learn how to use what I have before I add any more. I mean, if someone wants to give me another loom, I'm not going to say no. But I don't need to buy another one, unless I get rid of something that I won't be pursuing any longer. If that makes sense.

(This does not apply to yarn or weaving warp or anything like that, by the way.)




*Six boxes does sound like a lot, yes. But there are only 20 teabags per box, and at the rate I've been giving it away, I might need all six boxes. But seriously, I bought the box I have in November, and a month later, I have one teabag left. One measly teabag!

**However, I can buy something and then turn around to sell it and make a profit. Except, I have to sell it ASAP. Because we all know what happens when I decided to wait until later to sell something. Yeah.

Comments

Popular Posts