I've been rereading Fire and Water over the past few days, treating it like a novel that I just picked up instead of something I wrote. And something has struck me as interesting enough to write about.

I write organically, meaning, without an outline of any sort. I'll get inklings or scenes delivered to me sometimes, or have a vague idea of what happens next, but I usually have no clue about the ending until I 'get' the scene/s from my subconscious.

Over the years, I'll notice that if I insert something seemingly random, it usually becomes very important later on. Obviously, something underneath the actual story I'm writing is busy calling the shots, and I don't necessarily realize this sometimes until I'm finished and done with the story.

That's where I usually trip myself, too; when I try to orchestrate what happens instead of allowing the story to work the way it wants to. If that makes sense.

I've really noticed this while rereading Fire and Water.

Technically, this was a rewrite, but in truth, it was a new novel. The only things that I kept from the original was Stefan being one of the villains, and Malachi's blindness. Everything else was new. I had Heart's Desire to draw from, of course, but it's really surprising how well the two books meshed together and coalesced into the first two books in the series. My original idea for the third book, Scarecrows, is even looking more and more like an actual possibility. It's both strange and refreshing.

There's a definite strongly-running theme of family in this book. And acceptance. And prejudice. There are a lot of self-reliant people in this book, and also a lot of people who know they need others to survive. Rereading it has really made me think about what is really important vs. what isn't important that everyone thinks should be important. If that makes sense.

I have a feeling that the rest of this year will be a time of reflection for me. A time to consider my life and how I'm living it, and also if I'm on the right path.

I have my NaNoWriMo book in mind already. It's going to be a sort-of-secret project; something I've never really tried before. If it works, it will be both an interesting exercise and an interesting read. And I almost can't wait to begin. :)

Comments

Popular Posts