I had a dream last night that I had purchased a small stone cottage from the heirs of an elderly lady's estate. It was a mess and needed a lot of cleaning to be livable, so I was spending most of my 'spare' time in the house just tossing junk. (Evidently it had been uninhabited for a while.)

The windowsills of this cottage were at least a foot deep, great slabs of stone that were covered in dust and debris. I couldn't believe how cool the cottage would look when I was finished.

I found a photo album under a ratty couch, full of letters from the old lady to her long-ago lover who was overseas in some war. There were pictures, too, of the old lady when she was young and the lover, who seemed to be a pilot, as far as I could tell. I made a mental note to contact the heirs and see if they wanted the album, but I had a feeling they wouldn't want it. (And I had signed something to the effect of whatever I found in the house was mine.)

Anyway, so while I was cleaning, I came across a necklace made of amber beads intersperced with darker horn beads. I set it aside and then, while I was digging down under some weird looking wooden wall or something under the windows, I came across this ivory necklace that must have weighed about 25 lbs. Evidently, the old lady's lover had been in Africa for this war, and he had brought back all this stuff for her, including this necklace.

A short description of the necklace: It had to have at least twenty-five strands of small heishe-style ivory beads, and then at least five or six strands of larger ivory and amber beads. It weighed a ton, and I couldn't imagine anyone actually wearing it. There was a price tag on the necklace, handwritten, including the name of a city in Ghana where it had come from, of $2,995.

I decided I would attempt to sell it on ebay, because it had to have some sort of historical signifigance, and I couldn't see myself using the necklace for beads. Ivory is ivory, after all.

So, while I was attempting to clean out behind this weird wall, I woke up. And I didn't get any further.

It was a cool cottage. Shame it doesn't really exist. *sigh*

Comments

Popular Posts