Well, we're back... (and I had half an entry written when this computer decided to freeze, so grrrr.)

Mom, Bekah, Jess, and I met my realtor and viewed two houses, both of which are in Ripley.

The first one, billed as a 'restored historic house', had a nice sized yard and a nice dog (although I stepped in dog poop.) Next door was a huge abandoned mansion, which looked quite haunted. (Bekah wanted to go inside.)

The house was... large enough. It has a dining room, two upstairs bedrooms, a bathroom on the second floor (none on the first floor) that connects to both bedrooms, built-in closets and bookcases that framed an inoperable fireplace, a damp basement, and other nice features (including original windows.)

However, when the owners 'restored' the house, they decided to go the weasel way to hide the new electric wires, etc., and installed drop ceilings throughout every downstairs room. Like, the drop ceilings you see in offices. And there were many evidences of leaks. In fact, in the kitchen, they had pulled the ceiling panel aside to show where the ceiling itself had fallen in.

It's not a bad house. I just think it needs a new roof (the roof has been patched) and a lot of work. So, probably no go for that one. Oh, and the entire house (save for the bedrooms and one utility-type room) was carpeted in thick, blue carpet. That would have to go too. Wood floors throughout, otherwise.

The second house is my little darling Cape Cod. And it's just as darling inside as it is outside. There was evidence of termites or something on the top of the porch (I'm going to guess the whole top of the porch needs to be replaced) but otherwise, it looked pretty good to me.

The walls in the combo/kitchen dining room/living room (it's all one big room) are painted dark red. The bedrooms are painted bright blue and bright purple, respectively. The bathroom's painted dark brown and has tile. There are new Pergo floors, which are dark brown with a pattern, and really look great, imo. The carpet would definitely have to go. It's beige, which really doesn't go with the walls. If I had to put carpet in, I'd go with something else. Don't know what, but something.

The interesting thing was that the lady realtor who is representing the house told me that the tenants had moved out, but all their stuff was still there. Well... yeah. Cell phones, dishes in the dishwasher, food in the fridge (with the electricity turned off, even... ugh) dirty clothes, TVs, etc. It was really weird. We surmised that they had been hauled off to jail.

The house also comes with a stripped out truck, the use of which is beyond me. (Okay, I'm kidding, it's there, but obviously, wouldn't stay.)

Anyway... It's cute. I love the color scheme. The bedrooms are small, but large enough, I think. Room for a garden (it comes with one acre and has woods (very thick woods) behind it) and just about anything else I'd want. Room for Mabel too. Maybe not room for my dining room set, but we'll see.

It even has indigenous lizards! (Skinks, actually. We found a dead one in one of those flypaper mouse traps.)

So my big question was upstairs. Since it's a Cape Cod, the upstairs slopes, and I wasn't sure if my stuff would fit up there. The 'master bedroom' (the entire upstairs, in truth) is 10' x 30', so I knew I would have enough room for all my stuff (I'd have a combo studio/office/bedroom if Bekah moves in with me) but I wasn't sure about the walls. Well, they are just under four feet tall, which, in truth, I could work with. And, in the listing, it said the 'master bedroom' was carpeted, but it's not. It has wood floors, painted white. (It actually looks original, but I'm not sure.) Very nice wood floors, in truth. I could so work with that.

In truth, it tops my list (still) right now. So we'll see.

Um... so anyway, we're going to look at another house tomorrow, in Georgetown. So hope and pray this works out, everyone!

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh, goddess. Your travels bring back memories of when we were house-hunting.

Popular Posts